In order to not disrupt the current toolset, there's a new server, a new domain and a new toolchain in development that will make everything like... gorgeous and wonderful! Let's have a look at the features and where we stand:
Current status of the migration to vtta.io
- Unavailable - design phase, planned features
- Alpha - transitioning from the design phase into an early proof-of-concept/ evaluation phase to finalize the design and prototype it for internal use
- Beta - available to you to test-drive them
- Production - used as the default building block in production
- Discontinued - discontinued, unmaintained
As you can see, I am running both pages in parallel. This ensures non-disruptive usability of the current toolset without me needing to worry to break these because of necessary changes. I will update this post regularly to let you know what is happening and create dev diary posts to explain any design decisions made.
[Update 1] As of this update, the image is still true, but we got some color shifts since the last posts:
If you want to import all the adventure modules as before, then use the old line of tools:
If you want to use the new tools, which additional features, bells and whistles, then use the new line of tools:
In both cases please join the new Discord server:
I am planning to tackle the following features and issues during the next weeks, with their respective priorities:
- Bringing stability into the toolchain - roughly 30.000 lines of code are powering your new imports, from A to B. This does not include any tools I am using internally to prepare the processing instructions for the module import, the parser checks and revisioning, but just that: Chrome extension, modules and necessary infrastructure codes. Yes, Lines of Code is not great measurement tool since I can write complex code in one line and the same thing very verbose in 20 lines of code, but it can still serve as an image: These tools and the way they work together are complex and I will need some time to make the engine go brrrmmmm. Bear with me, please.
- Porting the scene data into the new format - and create the processing instructions individual to each adventure/ source book in order to make it available, too. We already have a great base of data, but it's still a manual effort to polish that and transfer it over to the new importer. I received initial feedback during the launch streams which modules to prioritize, but expect a formal Patreon poll soon.
- Add additional features currently missing - references from monster character sheets to D&D Beyond, individual import of paragraphs or sections from D&D Beyond into Foundry VTT as Journal entries (think: custom digital DM-screen) and other things that will become an approved feature request.
Chrome extension v1.0.5 was approved by Google in record time. I created and uploaded a small video in the new Developer Updates-series and while it was still processing by YouTube I was notified that the new extension's version was already avaiable to people - great! That was a great step forward in the right direction of providing a stable toolset.
Today I started working on becoming more compatible with the hoster The Forge, especially in the image upload and general file handling department. I can just hope that other hosters will not change the inner workings of Foundry as much as Kakaroto, because trying to get all those particularities right - in parallel to the already existing possibitilies of vanilla Foundry - is.. well, not so enjoyable. I tested the changes locally, with S3 and on a Forge instance with the Asset library with good success, but I learned my lesson about rushed releases: Because the improvements require vtta-core and vtta-tokens updates, I want to test them more thoroughly, so expect a release around friday.
Easter is around the corner and with that a couple of off-work days are approaching. That means I will work on some sourcebooks and make some progress on that front, too. I will begin with
- Candlekeep Mysteries - Scene adjustments
- Curse of Strahd - Second pass
Expect a Patreon poll about which modules to convert first, I will need your input on that.
Please use this post as reference to check what is currently going on. Discord keeps rushing through all chats, and Patreon posts are volatile, too. This page stays forever ;)